Saturday 2 January 2016

Autumn 2015 Escape to Tasmania

I am back again after a few splendid weeks all over Tasmania.  This time round, I flew into Hobart and MB picked me up at the airport and I used Claremont, Hobart as my base.


Autumn Colours around MONA





Remember him?? MB - the total stranger that I did the 90 days outback trip with in his RV last year!?!  This time round, I was his guest in his home and when we toured the west to the east coast, we did it again in the RV.  RV-ing is such good fun and I highly recommend this mode of transportation if you are doing road trips.


It is a home on wheels and what I like most about it, is that it gives you total freedom to wander and discover places and not have to worry about finding accommodation or a decent restaurant and you can wander anywhere and everywhere and call it a night anywhere at any time - be it to be as close as possible to the sea, or to be  sleeping in total wilderness under giant gum trees, or if you could not be bothered or worry about the landscape you wake up to, then just drive into a caravan park or even park along the road!!!

Endless opportunities to tickle your every fancy!!! Mine is to sleep to the sound of waves and wake up to the waves pelting down our RV doorstep and the sunrise cheekily peeping through the RV window and or starring at the stars when I am tossing in bed and can't fall asleep when my head hits the pillow!!!
Somewhere in Tassie - lol

The Nut @ Stanley
I am not done with Tassie yet!!!  Still so much more to do but would like to camp out in the RV for nights on end the next trip and hopefully capture an aurora so that I can tick it off my bucket list!!!


Wild oyster for the picking!!!
 In a nutshell, we covered the "Huon Valley of Love", drove up West Coast to the tip of Montague/Stanley and came back through Launceston and covered most parts of Tassie except Cradle Mountain which I did with my Bear friend a few years ago!


 Some highlights that I can remember .... picked wild apples along the road.

Picking wild apples - tastes sooooo good too!
I even saw and have a video capturing wild platypus, saw a wild Tasmanian Devil but he was too quick for me to fire up my camera!  In St Helens, if only I was diligent, we could have filled up a milk crate full of wild oysters!!!  Definitely some of the biggest wildest freest range of oysters you can ever imagine.  The shell alone is the size larger than my entire palm and the oyster itself is like the size of a baby's feet - jokes aside!!!




Ate all the scallop pies we could find along the way from every corner of Tassie and my most favourite ones were from Richmond and Bicheno.
Scallop Pie





OH DEAR ... looks like I was working on this blog back then (March 2015) and saw it sitting in my DRAFT BOX (2/1/2016) and so here I am and am trying to recall the rest of this trip!!!


MB and his toys!!!!


Guess it is too hard to recall everything we did at the moment, but I had a wonderful time with MB showing me all the best spots and places that the normal tourists will never get to see.  I am booked again for Hobart on the 20/4/2016, so I will try to blog as quick as I can after this trip so that it is all still fresh in my mind!





No comments:

Post a Comment