Thursday 25 August 2016

RV rendezvous hookup at Newcastle

After celebrating all the birthdays on both sides of our families, it was time to hit the road again.  MB was up in Southwest Rocks somewhere so I flew into Newcastle and MB had to double back to pick me up.

The sun was pelting down and as I stepped out of the plane it was glorious.  I was glad to leave the doom and gloom of winter behind in Melbourne and hook up with the RV.  MB was late picking me up but he had a valid reason, so he got away without getting into trouble!!!  Fancy keeping me waiting when I have been waiting so anxiously to ride shotgun in the RV again.


All is good, so we headed towards Port Stephens.  This is one of my many favourite spots along the East Coast.  As usual, we do not have an itinerary so we were just driving around.  Do not know what happened but I came up with this outrageous idea of chasing Migaloo and that we did for the next few days.  (see blog on Migaloo Chase for more details)

Anyways, after the Migaloo chase we just cruised around and took driving down to first gear to enjoy the rest of my days just chasing the sunrise and sunsets and basically was just happy to be parked somewhere for a few days and not drive anywhere!!! 

I just wanted to relax and soak up the sunshine and do as little as possible and perhaps squeeze in some outdoor cooking.  
MB cooking outdoors
That night we camped by the bridge at Brunswick Heads and this is a "secret" spot.  So secret that it took MB more than an hour to find it in the dark!!!  Enough said, but it was good to be back again in this exact spot which I thoroughly enjoyed for a few days a couple of years ago.  Tthe next night we were in Wooli.  MB tried casting his rods here whilst I kept busy by making curry puffs to fill in the time.  That morning, I found some sea sponge and was so foolish to just pick up one instead of all 6 which washed up to shore when I was combing the beach I had all to myself at the wee hours of the morning trying to catch the sunrise and also sighted a pod of dolphins which was an added bonus.  
Seasponge


Tried washing dishes up with this sea sponge and because its so organic - something that has lived its whole life in the sea, it was definitely strong but yet so soft when you squeeze it.  It was really nice washing and scrubbing the crockery with it as it is nothing like using the green stuff you get from the supermarket.

We started heading south towards Newcastle and this time round we stopped at Port Macquarie as we had to go to Whalers Wharf to have mud crabs which we missed the last trip.  Although this is a seafood restaurant, we did not have seafood for mains and my lamb was so yummilicious and the seafood chowder, I will stop by and have it again and again when I next pass by!!!
Not in any order, but we were back in Yamba to get the fresh Tiger prawns, Southwest Rocks, Trial Bay Goal, Laurieton, Bulahdelah etc and this time, I actually hiked up all the way to the Tacking Point Light House. 
We were in relax mode till we chatted with KM and SF.  One phone call is all it took and we found ourselves racing down the highway again and we were to meet them in Pokolbin for lunch on Sunday at the winery.  It was like a meeting of "united nations" across the table as all 5 of us came from different countries and different parts of Australia!!!  Throughly enjoyed lunching with the Chans and it was really good to see my lifelong friend SF again. 
After a fully belly, they did the usual wine tasting and took away more than 10 bottles home and we parted ways.  Nice short and sweet and it was just as well we met up even for a few hours, as KM bought her first home and SF came over to oversee the big move and is now seeing to renovation works etc as KM is busy with deadlines at work.  No ho-haaing in the RV with them on this leg of the RV trip!!!

We went to the Stockton Sand Dunes and like every other place we have been to recently, it took us ages to find it but we got there eventually.  Not everything is about speed I am guessing at our age!!!  The last tour was at 3pm, so now I had to do my own tour on foot and am proud to brag that I made it to the pinnacle of the highest sand dune before sunset.
These sand dunes are on Worimi Conservation Lands and spreads out to 4200 hectacres, 1800 of forest 32kms of longest moving sand dunes in the Southern hemisphere and some slopes reach heights of over 30 metres up to 60 degrees.  Its majestic alien-like moonscape which was more like sandscape was worthy of my climb.  This is also where the sand dunes meets the ocean.
Sand dune meets the ocean

We stayed till after the sunset and left before the mozzies ate us for dinner.  The next day it was time for me to head back to Newcastle.
10 days have just flown by but it was jam packed with lots of fun and I am still enjoying RVing but we are getting to a stage where we are running out of new places to discover!!!
Here's a very unique pix you do not get to see everyday on the road, so I am posting it on this blog.  We saw it somewhere along the way on this trip, but don't ask me where!!! Get into your car/rv/motorhome/caravan whatever mode of transport, and make it your mission to find it and remember please stay safe on the roads!!! 








At the most Easternly tip of Australia


































No comments:

Post a Comment