Tuesday 23 December 2014

Gula Melaka Sago Pudding

This Malaysian dessert will be hard to beat in terms of cooking/preparation time, low cost and great taste!!!
Served chilled it is soooooo delicious!!!!!  Don't ask me how many I have had this time I made it:)
I bought the gula Melaka from Rantau Panjang in Kota Kharu, a kampung near the Thai border town of Golok.  For a bag of about 20 mini slabs of this rich natural palm sugar, I only paid MYR$5.50!!!!  Wished I was able to carry a few more bags of this gula that is never to be found anywhere in Melbourne.
Gula Melaka from Rantau Panjang - Kota Bharu
In my opinion, the hero of the dish is the gula .... those that I buy locally turns hard as rock once it cools down, whereas this gula is silky smooth like a rich treacle and it has been 5 days now since I boiled it down from the hard gula to a thick liquid and it is still staying the way I like it to be:)
Yummilicious Sago Pudding

Quick recipe/method:
Boil the sago/tapioca till it is translucent/transparent, run under the tap to reduce the starch and then whisk up egg white and mix it through the sago/tapioca - this helps to separate the sago pearls individually and then put into moulds and chill in the fridge.  I added a few drops of "pandan" essence to give it the green colour and fragrant smell.
Served with gula (cut it up and put into pan with a bit of boiling water till it dissolves and do not over boil it) coconut milk (I heated the canned coconut milk with a pinch of salt and had it simmering till just hot but not bubbling or it will curdle) then let it cool.  Serve sago pudding with coconut milk and gula.  So easy to make and tastes like heaven!!!!


I am sure you can easily goggle the recipe, but I normally cook with guessimation method and apologise I cannot help you with exact measurements.


No comments:

Post a Comment