Wednesday 21 January 2015

Mornington Peninsula

Before my long haul trips, I used to like driving down to the Mornington Peninsula.  It is located south east of Melbourne.  It is surrounded by Port Phillip to the west, and Western Port to the east and Bass Strait to the south and is connected to the mainland in the north is how I would best describe its location.

You can easily sample your way around the boutique cellar doors, there is so much to do from picking strawberries at Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm, Port Phillip sailing for adventure on the high seas, follow the Food & Wine Trail, and Red Hill is an epicentre for artisan food down that way.  Those that know me well, know how much I love my food (before the discovery of my liver condition!!!)
You could say, I have wine and dined at the top end restaurants down that way.... to name a few .... Ten Minutes by Tractor, Port Phillip Estate, Long Table, Montalto, Max's etc etc but last weekend and I ended up at Foxey's Hangout.
Wine Wine Wine
 
Foxey's Hangout - This little family owned winery/restaurant is the perfect destination if you are in a hurry and don't need fancy but want something quick.  The location is stunning, with a huge terrace overlooking the vineyard and cherry farm.  I scored a table outside and took in the stunning views and left my order to the Chef ... it was a selection of all their tapas $11 plates... so I called it an outdoor tapas degustation!  

Mushroom Sausage & Spiced Lamb Meatballs with yogurt dip
Food was OK and were Med-inspired plates such as zucchini fritters, roasted capsicum and white anchovies, lamb meatballs and fresh bread dipped in a house blend pistachio dukkah etc.  Best enjoyed on the terrace where the grass slopes away to reveal a valley studded with vines.






Afterwards, I dashed down to Rosebud to check out Chris & Hamish Swayn's father & son gig at the RoseGPO.  It was really nice to see all the Swayns again.  It was an excellent summer's day and so nice to see family and friends coming together to support the duo performing.  Music is definitely in their blood and young Finn definitely captured the audiences hearts - especially mine!!!
3 generations!!!


Ended the day going to visit mom down at Rye.  It has been 3 years since we lost mom, but she lives on forever in our hearts.  Its beautiful down there and I will be joining mom when my time comes!!!

Rye Pier









So head down to the Mornington Peninsula.  Explore the galleries, seaside villages, cool off with a day on the beach, Red Hill market  and ohhhhhh I forgot to mention the Hot Springs--- so rejuvenating and is my all time favourite thing to do or simply escape to the hinterland for gourmet delights at boutique wineries.  Best of all, it is only just over an hour from Melbourne. 
Stunning vineyard


No comments:

Post a Comment