Thursday 12 February 2015

Manta Rays at Hanifaru Bay, Maldives

I am having heaps of trouble trying to load the original pixs from my external hard drive, so I got these pixs from my FB and reproduced them in here.
Manta ray feeding frenzy at Hanifaru Bay was awesome.  I was glad I went the 2nd time as the first day, the water was so murky from the feeding frenzy that my pixs were quite blurry. 
Gentle Mantas
However, on the 2nd day we went out on the first boat with the divers and it was the perfect day.  The sun was shining, the sea was calm, the water was clear and when I jumped into the water it was a bit invigorating, but with so many manta rays coming right up to the top and so many of them swimming all around us, my mind was just blown away and feeling cold was the least of my worry.  I was only worried I cannot get close up enough to take some good pixs of these gentle dancing ballerinas in the Indian Ocean!!!

I had to dodge him!!!


They were huge!!!  They never stopped flapping their wings which must easily have span over 2 meters in width from tip to tip.  I have swam with manta rays before in Western Australia, but they were no where as big as the Maldivian ones.  Big, bold and beautiful!!!

He was heading straight at me!!!


Yessss I am checking out your entire wings spread out to the max!!!


Yessssss I know you are humungeous!!!


Thanks for letting me hitch a ride!!!


Hanifaru Bay is an uninhabited island around the Baa Atoll in the Maldives.  I might be wrong, but I believe it is now a prime destination for divers and underwater photographers.  This is where you can come to experience frolicking and capturing these beautiful creatures in huge numbers!!! The surreal experience came to live for me and its another one ticked off on my bucket list!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment