Wednesday 24 September 2014

BACK FROM 90 DAYS IN THE OZ OUTBACK

One of many fires I built from scratch!!



I am home!!! ... safe and sound and thought before I take off again on my next adventure on 30/9, I should at least quickly write up a bit of this and a bit of that to give you a snippet into my outback trip in the RV/Motorhome with Michael (MB).




First of all, MB is the best travel buddy anyone could possibly ask for to be on an outback roadtrip.  Ironic how two total strangers can "hit it off" and not kill one another in a confined space for 90 days together!!!  I guess you could say we were both "compatible" and or compliment each other in our own ways and being "free and easy going" bodytypes, so it even made it even more easier!!



Dramatic bandage for a broken finger!!!
Route:  Melbourne down the GOR to SA - Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy, and up to NT covering Alice Springs, Kings Canon, Uluru, Olgas and the RV broke down after 13 days on the road and had to be transported to Adelaide :(:( 
We flew from Alice Springs to Adelaide but after the RV was fixed, we had another minor accident with MB's finger which also set us back a few days in Adelaide.
I don't know where to start, but MB has been very accommodating and took me to kick up some red dust in the NT and I will always be thankful for this leg of our journey together.  Don't get me wrong, everything has been excellent but because when we started off we did not have a "black and white" itinerary, and I knew NT was definitely not in the picture!!!  We just winged it and over the days I must have been "drip feeding" MB that I would like to go and conquer The Rock, and my subtle hints or bomb sized ones soon found us heading that way!!! MB did most of the driving but I was lucky enough he let me have my lst go behind the wheels on the 16/7 which was another new experience for me.
One of many routes on our trip
Behind da wheels!!













When we were over the mini sagas, and was ready to rock and roll again, we decided we will take on a different route, as driving back to continue where we broke down was just too many kilometres backwards so we headed towards Broken Hill, Lightning Ridge etc and crossed the border to Queensland and cut out across to Rockhampton and came down the East Coast of NSW.  We covered many towns along the way and I must have easily taken close to 5,000 pixs, but unfortunately will not be able to share all of them.


~~~~~~~~~~~One of many destination sypnosis~~~~~~~~~~~
Windows of da West!
St GeGeorge..Thallon..Dirranbandi..Hebel..Bollon..Mungindi..Nindigully...been there n done it!!!!...from majestic landscapes, historic pubs, picturesque rivers and I have been wandering along the Quilberry Creek amongst beautiful gumtrees where kangaroos bounce freely n birdlife is plentiful catching yabbies..making bread n scones on open fire etc etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





We saw a variety of wildlife from a large herd of camels to a few hundred emus, dingos, birds of prey, a fence of stringed up dead foxes, kangaroos - lots of roadkill along the way, but MB would not even think of letting us have any for supper!!! 
Wild camels in the Oz outback!
On this note, might I add that I did hack off a slice of roo meat for yabby bait but even then, MB convinced me it was rotten and smelly and I had to throw it out.  Instead, we used LUX Soap to bait the yabbies and it worked a treat:):)  Yabbies are scrumptious when boiled up fresh and eaten when still warm... yum yum!!


Fox fence - da first pix I took at the start of our journey
Playing "house" in the RV is very different as water, power, gas and electric are "limited", but we soon learnt how to compromise our needs and found ways to carry on living like "normal" on the road.

Playing house with one of my besties SF
Personally, I do not like caravan parks and MB has been easy with the idea of free camping, so we have stayed in some amazing locations that puts 5 star hotels to shame!!!  Parked at the waters edge with million dollar views, it was just wonderful to sleep to the sound of waves crashing into shore like as if it was crashing into our van, wake up to the orchestra of birds, and even torrential rain pelting down on us was music to my ears!  Lying in bed in the RV and star gazing is priceless!!!







A glimpse of the inside
In the evenings, we managed to entertain ourselves and hardly watched telly.  Coming down the East Coast we were playing a card game called "Frustration".  It is a no brainer, and definitely a time killer!!!  Last leg of the trip, we had a couple of guests on board with us for 3 nights and they soon got "hooked" to this game too.  MB has been thrashed badly, but he still came out a winner in his own right as he does not chuck a fit like bad losers!!!



So much to tell, but shall end here.  To those that seek a true adventure, do not hesitate to do what I did - just do it and let it happen ... you will have a time of your life!!! Go for the ride!!!  I just wish it was more than 90 days for me as it all came to an end too soon.  I had a blast and thank you MB for this amazing outback experience!!!

Otherwise, like they say.... what happens on the road, stays on the road!!! 

That's the AYRES ROCK behind me!!!
Frustration - time killing card game







Home for the 90 Days on da road tripping all over OZ




Outback cooking in the bush




Fire that cooked my lst ever damper
The longest spot we stayed throughout the trip






KM and SF - our guests along the way






1 comment:

  1. Awesome trip you guys took there! With really nice pictures to show it for, especially the ones with the camels and stuff. Those images are sure to be kept. Anyway, glad to hear that your RV got fixed in time to finish the rest of your adventure. All the best!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV Center

    ReplyDelete