Saturday 27 September 2014

Humble Rhubarb



As I suffer badly from hayfever, nowadays, I am not a keen gardener, but one thing I love having in my backyard is the rhubarb plant.
I just love rhubarb ... serve it to me in any shape or form:):):)
Lately, because of my craze for Chia Puddings, I have been harvesting the rhubarb and making a compote out of it to dress up and add zest into my puddings. 
Chia Pudding with Rhubarb compote
Rhubarb is so easy to grow.  My friend GG gave me a cutting, I stuck it into the soil and forgot all about it.  Magical how nature take its course and before you know it, I have a healthy yummy bush of rhubarb.
Last harvest b4 30/9/14 holidays
Before the chia puddings came along, I used to cook up my rhubarb with apple, or with mixed fruits for my crumbles which is still a hot family favourite!
Since I am on this new "diet" because of my liver, I guess Chia puddings is the healthier option for me.

Another one of many Chia creations with Rhubarb

Rhubarb on its own is just "blah", so when I make it into a compote, I tend to add apple (optional) and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to bring the best out of it!!!
Cooking down Rhubarb
A dollop of this home made compote concoction is so yummilicious with classic EOSS yogurt.


Bald Rhubard plant -  b4 I left on hols 30/9/14


WoW - after 70 days return

I will be flying off tomorrow (30/9) to Kuala Lumpur, so I have fed my rhubarb Osmocote and hope by the time I return in 70 days time, it will be flourishing for my first official 2015 summer harvest!

lst harvest 2015
                             


















No comments:

Post a Comment