Sunday 8 May 2016

Cherries/Berries Picking

I just love cherries and berries be they be blue, black or red!!!
On this beautiful day, I just drove aimlessly with no direction whatsoever and finally found myself heading towards Silvan.  I guess you could call it the "cherry capital" of Victoria.  Well, there are a lot of farms out that way and I stumbled upon one along the way and decided to go check it out.


The car park was packed - and as expected, so many Asians/tourists there (and locals like myself) and after paying the entry fee of $10.00 we were all given a yellow pail and directed to board a coach - you guessed it, packed to the brim and some were standing too all full of Asians! hahaha

The fruit farm was on hectacres - you can eat as much as you want and its all free but what you pick you must pay and cherries were $10 a kilo and other berries were $15 a kilo.

I had a field day - if anything, I ate way too much on an empty belly and before I could go over to the raspberries, I had to head off to the you know where as my belly was churning and rumbling and I knew if I did not go, it could get ugly!!!


I ate a few from each of the cherry trees and must have easily gone through 50 trees easily allocated for picking on that day.  I found they were not as flavoursome as some I have tried this season, but they were as fresh as you could get... from tree to mouth!!!

If you have not done it before, you should just go for the experience and make a fun day of it and take the kids to do all the hard work... it takes a while to fill a whole pail but I guess its worth all the effort and you cant blame anyone if they were no good cause you picked them yourself!!!!

Don't they just look so fresh, juicy, sweet and delicious that you want to pick them yourself???  I do,  and I know you will have fun, fulfillment and above all, total enjoyment of these lovely cherries!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment