Thursday 19 December 2019

Singapore 2019 KM Wedding

My besties son, KM is getting married and I was invited to be part of the celebrations in Singapore.  Gr8! so I integrated this trip together with my island getaway.


Upon my arrival, DC host hubby cooked me some classic dishes I have not had for years and I throughly enjoyed it and had durian for my dessert!  Happy tummy after a long flight, it was better than dining out at a flash restaurant.

Home cooked classical dishes by DC
Meeting up with Shirley and Peen 
Managed to meet up with Shirley - she flew in from Thailand to see me and my cousin JP came along too, so off we went in the humid scorching sun to find the best Hainanese chicken rice.  Afterwards, we went back to Shirley's hostel closely and stuffed our faces with pandan cakes and just chatted the afternoon away.
Mustang King durian
SFun and DC always have stock of Musang King in their freezer, so I am always lucky enough to eat them even though they might be out of season!
Petai ikan bilis sambal 
Petai is a "smelly bean" (pee is smelly after u eat it) but its my fav all time bean - unfortunately I have not seen it fresh in Melbourne yet, but you can get the frozen or canned version if you are desperate.  I do not bother as its not crunchy anymore, so whenever I head back that way, I tend to look for it as I believe it might also be a seasonal bean and is not easily found in the markets.  Trust DC to find it and cook it for me, so I am already on a food roll!
Beauties ready for da big day
Weddings are always about food, food, food and lots of eating and drinking!  After morning breakfast, we headed for the brides home  to "chip sun leong" - translated means we "go pick up the bride".

The groom has to perform and play along to the bridesmaid's games and pass each "hurdle" or if not, the groom has to pay money to pass each test ... its all in the name of good fun but some are carried out over the top that sends the groom doing silly things, and might involve eating chicken bum, drink soya sauce, or eating chillies/bittergourd etc
Groom towering over me!
Outpost Hotel on Sentosa Island
Usually after picking up the bride, they will head back to the grooms home and have the "tea ceremony".  This is when the newly weds will pay respects to their new family's elders/inlaws/relatives and serve them tea, and in return they will receive an "ang pow" (red packet filled with money) or jewellery.
BFF - Mother of the Groom
Then a light lunch was provided for everyone at the groom's house.  During the "break time" we went to the hairdressers to get our hair done after lunch and before you know it, it was time to get ready and dolled up and to head to Sentosa Island for the dinner.
Dinner was "western" food and not the traditional Chinese 10 course dinner.  The Chinese dinner was held in KL over the next weekend.  KMun and I went out after dinner as we anticipated we would need supper, so we landed up eating again somewhere far from Clementi and we had Indian cuisine at 2am!!!
Traditional Tea Ceremony outfits
My happening LOUD table - yummmmmmm seng-ing!!!
It was like the crazy rich asian type of wedding, but supposedly a low key version, but it was done very tastefully and was throughly enjoyable.  Off they went to board the yacht for the after party and us oldies headed out in our uber car looking for supper!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment